Sunday, July 17, 2005

Runonsentence

(Not sure why I didn't post this way back when I wrote it...)

I was cleaning up that frightening pile of paperwork today and I came across some information about child language development. It was interesting reading to be sure.

The age four development page stated that the average sentence length of a four year old should be 4-5 words.
Have you met my son? He was talking in 4-5 multi-syllable word sentences by 2 and now... let's just say if he's awake it's rarely quiet around our house.

So for the last five minutes Steve and I have been counting the words in Liams' sentences. He is begging us to go looking for some wee playmobil bits that go with his pirate ship instead of looking for them himself. For example; "Daddy, can you help me find the little brown bits that go with the grappling hook for my pirate ship." We figure the average length is at LEAST 8 words. Many were 11 words and the longest we counted was 21. And he's feeling pretty yucky today with a fever and all so he's not nearly as verbose as he can be.