Something about the word 'yellow' has captivated at least three toddler girls that I've heard of recently. They all have a different way to say it but they all seem to think it's a pretty cool word to be used in more contexts than just exploring colours.
Zoe said 'lello' first a few weeks back. Just once and then not again for a while. Then one day a couple of weeks ago she started insisting that her cup and bowl and everything be 'Lello!' Given that Liam was about her age when he decided on Red as his all time favourite colour and has never wavered once, I thought "this is it - she's chosen yellow!" Which would be extremely unfortunate because I was envisioning an all yellow wardrobe, and in my experience yellow doesn't work well on blondes. Thankfully, later that day in Gymboree, she expressed no interest, even dislike, in the two yellow sundresses I found on sale.
But what is this new 'yellow' obsession all about? Based on the naming of the nummies and other evidence, it appears that 'yellow' is anything that Zoe prefers over anything else. And 'Blue' things are the runners up. She is actually exploring the concept of colour - and usually asks the colour of something by asking 'Lellow?' 'Blue?.' We suspect that what she REALLY likes is the word 'yellow.' I think she would be very happy if purple things were actually 'yellow' since she sounds the most wistful when asking if something purple might really be 'lello.' But when it really comes down to it, if she likes it, it's Yellow. And there's no arguing with her after that.