Saturday, March 04, 2006

Saturday Morning Scene

Liam sitting quietly at the kitchen table - Lego Moon Mission space toys arrayed in front of him.
His generally quiet personal dialogue centers on landing instructions, avoiding meteorites, blasting off, and other snippets of space terminology.

Steve and Zoe practicing kitchen soccer. Back and forth in short spurts the little soccer ball travels willy nilly across the kitchen floor.

Me, sipping coffee at the 'peninsula'

Zoe's 'kicking' is starting to be interupted by some odd dance movements.
"Zoe do you have to pee?" her father asks her.
"No, I not have to pee. I - have - to -play.... SOCCER!!"

Steve glances at Liam, catches my eye - "they have totally different interests"

But, hearing the cry of "SOCCER", Liam abandons his space mission and charges in, changing the energy of the teaching session into a free-for-all soccer challenge.

Over the course of the next few minutes the game changes rules about half a dozen times. Zoe keeps coming to tell me proudly that she is the goalie on the soccer team (to which I respond, "well you better get back there and protect your goal" ). There is a pee break (she did have to pee after all), followed by more rambunctious play, and now there is a Time Out for Liam to get out of his too long pj bottoms so he won't slip anymore.

Everyone has cleared the stage.

I'm ready for another cup of coffee.