Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Chuck, Chuck, Bo Buck...

Liam is really good at the Name-Game. Give him any word and he can do the whole thing without missing a beat.

He first learned the game when Zoe was just a baby and I started singing it to her when she was fussy;

Zoe, Zoe Bo Bo-ee
Banana Fana Fo Fo-ee
fe fi fo Mo-ee
Zoe

Liam has always loved words. Especially big one with lots of syllables, such as 'combine harvester' - or funny sounding ones, like 'dug.' So it wasn't too surprising that he took a shine to the Name-Game. Within a few weeks he was attempting all of his friends names, and 'mommy' and 'daddy' and 'nana', and all of our friends names. Yes, even Chuck.

What is a parent to do when their almost-four year old spontaneously starts up a chorus or two of the name game at dinner and 'Chuck' is his name of choice? Personally I blame Steve - I suspect encouragement on car rides sans mommy. You can tell by the gleam in his eye that, somehow, Liam seems to know that he gets to say something naughty. Maybe it was the giggles his father was not doing such a good job of stifling. Maybe it was the not-so-successful glares his mother was shooting at his father while stifling her own giggles.

I know Zoe was taking it all in as she chewed on her moon-shaped chicken nugget and bopped to the beat.

"Chuck Chuck Bo Buck
Banana Fana Fo..."