Sunday, May 08, 2005

Meat Wheels and Piggy Bellies

Today was Mothers Day.

There is no such thing as a 'typical' anything in this family - especially not Hallmark inspired 'Special Days' (this includes birthdays around here as well). As far as I can recall, a typical mothers day would include flowers, homemade 'gifts' and a special meal - Brunch? Dinner? Other stuff such as bought gifts and gift certificates are bonus items.

Liam doesn't 'do' crafts (is there a technical term for craft induced anxiety in pre-schoolers?) so that was out. I'll have to wait for Zoe's inspired creations in years to come. Flowers? If you count the half eaten bedraggled blossoms at the ends of the branches from our mock cherry in our front yard then I guess so. I'm not crazy about the tent caterpillar nests that came with them. But Steve and Liam did pick and cut them themselves...
I did get a card though. It wasn't a funny one - which I would have expected - in fact it was almost touching, unless you know Steve and you know me. It made me smile and I understand Steve, I really do.

It's a good thing I don't expect typical. I mean who REALLY wants to eat breakfast in bed? Not me. I had bagels (Surprise! - says Liam) and coffee (an americano from our espresso machine - YUM) after not making it to Yoga (yet again) due to another head cold, this one complete with cough and earache. I got to sleep in till - brace yourselves - 8:30am, when Zoe woke me up by pulling my hair and playing the point-and-say face parts game; "nose" "Nose" "chin" "Chin" and my favourite good morning "eye" "Eye-ouch!"

Despite the lack of typical Mothers Day events it was a Good Day. The kids were on their best behaviour - "It's Mothers Day mom so I have to be nice to you." Liam helped Steve outside (thus the tent caterpillars), Zoe went down for a nap in a timely fashion (unheard of!). I finally got under the deck cleaned up and swept. Liam crashed in front of the TV and napped for 2 hours and was STILL asleep by 9pm. I made dinner which everybody ate - apparently hamburgers are far more appealing if you call them 'meat wheels.' The day ended with Steve giving Liam a 'piggy belly' up the stairs and the usual bed-time rituals.

Mother's day is about appreciating your mom, and as a mom, about appreciating your family. I'd much rather treasure the memories of 'meat wheels' and 'piggy bellies' than the typical flowers and presents and special meals anyday.

Still a pedicure would be nice.