Friday, May 19, 2006

When All Is Said And Done...

Just call me 'Cabbage Tit.'
No, seriously, I have spent the last 48 hours or so with cabbage leaves stuffed inside one or another of my GAP built-in shelf bra tank tops. For those of you nursing moms who hear tell of this strange barbaric 'cure' for a plugged duct, let me tell you now: IT WORKS!!! Finally, sweet relief! Oh, I've had plugged ducts before, but as any la leche league inductee can tell you "just nurse through it and all will be well." Trouble is, Zoe weaned over a week before the duct in question went and got itself plugged. And the LAST thing you want to do when you've just weaned is express milk in ANY form. So what to do? Cabbage leaves! They are even the right shape for the job. Maybe that's how someone came up with the idea....

Anyways, I guess it is news that Zoe is now weaned. We always figured it would be easier with her than Liam and it was. Only two nights of insisting that she get her nummies before she started reminding me "No Nummies, right mom?." She may be only two but there are times when she channels 22.

The other night I got up because she was fussing and I thought maybe she needed to go pee. The issue turned out to be water and after that was satisfied she handed me her cup and said "you can go now" as she cuddled up to her pillow. I sat there on the edge of the bed dumbfounded; "I can go now?" I asked her incredulously. Eyes still closed, she nodded "yes." And so, at 2am, I was dismissed by my 2 year old.

With no nummies to see her to sleep at night, Zoe spent her first week trying to figure out how to settle down into sleeping; there were stories either with Liam and Daddy or just with Mommy (while Liam and Daddy read about space) to help with the transition and then the lights went out. But for Zoe this wasn't quite enough so she would promptly start talking out loud about whatever came to mind while her poor tired brother across the room tried to sleep. If she would just whisper! That was my goal: "Zoe, it's lights out time. It's dark now, now we whisper. No Talking! Liam has to go to sleep."

The night after I was summarily dismissed from my bedside duties, Zoe again woke up in the night and needed to pee; for that matter so did I, so I met her in the bathroom. She wasn't actually cranky, just a bit sleepy. I was talking to her - softly, but I was talking. And then she pipes up in a high pitched whisper: "Mommy you should whisper, it's dark."
Touche my little one!