
We finally did it! A night away from the kids!
Our whirlwind trip to Bruce & Rebecca's wedding in Calgary was fabulous! We travelled light; only carry-ons - a luxury in and of itself. We got to dress up, stay out 'til 2am and sleep in 'til 11am in our deluxe jacuzzi-suite hotel room! Heaven! I even stepped out to have my hair done before the wedding. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, we once again failed to come away from the evening with a 'nice' photo of the two of us. Bridget stole my camera and went trigger happy so I figured there was a good chance of at least ONE picture turning out. Alas, it was not to be; she failed to notice the dangling strap in front of the lens and so most of the good poses were ruined; the rest were blurry. I guess even a Nikon D70 requires deft handling to produce good photos. Not that I could have done any better. I really need to figure out EVERYTHING my camera can do because the standard "auto" mode SUCKS in poor lighting conditions!
The wedding itself was unique. Since Rebecca is an actress and Bruce a playwrite it seemed only fitting for them to exchange vows onstage at the Loosemoose Theatre: Doors at 7, Show at 8. The theme was Joseph Campbell (Heros, Myths and all that - apparently he wrote about marraige too) so the first half of the show was filled with deep and moving symbolism framed by representative speaches for each of the Circles of Friendship, Mentors and Family. Add to that an hour or more of raunchy variety show which ended sometime after 11pm, followed by drinks, nibblies and a really good old time hillbilly band, and you have a recipe for completely exhausting, confusing and pissing off your 91 year old grandmother (poor Bessie, she's a good sport but I think it was a bit much for both her and Uncle Ralf). Everyone else seemed to be enjoying the occassion but I can honestly say that there were more than a few numb bums in the house by the end of the evening!
Congratulations to The Happy Couple!
(Let's just hope they find time to take care of the legalities in Toronto in the next couple of weeks. Actors!)
Meanwhile our brave and true friend Heidi took over as guardian of our children for 30 hours or so. I think she is still recovering from battling The Demons From Hell (her words) summoned by Zoe at about 4am when our little Diva realized there really were no nummies coming anytime soon. What a trooper Auntie Heidi is - I only hope she doesn't resign her 'Auntie' status after the whole experience!