LIFE LESSON:
Liam and his little friend Isabella have a tendency to do what older siblings often do to younger ones: gang up and exclude them. Zoe and Isabella may play together just fine, but when Liam is there the dynamic completely changes. This is new to Zoe since in most other play-date circumstances Liam and his friends either include her in the play or she isn't interested in joining all on her own.
Yesterday was no exception to the Liam and Isabella exclusion games. So, being a responsible parent I thought Liam and I should have a little chat. I know that this is just something Zoe is going to have to deal with but still, I felt I should talk to Liam:
"Liam" says I, the only child who never understood sibling dynamics, "You really should include Zoe when you play. How would you feel if say, Zach decided that you couldn't play with the rest of the gang? Wouldn't you feel sad? Wouldn't you just feel like sitting down and crying if your friends were being mean to you?"
"No," he says, "When Zach does that I just get mad and go find something else to do."
"Oh. hmmmnn. Well.... aaahh, good point. I guess you figure Zoe should just get mad and go find something else to do?"
"Yep"
"Well you should still be nice to your sister" I replied lamely.
HOW WELL THEY KNOW YOU:
Though I am weaning Zoe she still manages to negotiate brief nummies in the morning and at bedtime (they are getting MUCH shorter though - 1 or 2 minutes max).
This morning Steve leaned over the nursing unit to ask me if I wanted him to start some coffee for me.
Zoe nodded "Yes" before I even had a chance to answer.