Saturday, October 01, 2005

Day Eight: Sistering Studs

Our morning started bright and early... at Otter Point. With the kids spending the weekend with my folks we are opting to join them for the evenings. A bit of a drive after a long day but there are hot showers at the end, and we get to drive the Sunfire which corners MUCH better than the Jeep and shaves about 30 minutes off the commute. We did drive the Jeep in today since we needed to stop off at Home Depot to pick up our new bathroom window, plumbing supplies and some lumber for the framing we began today. Home Depot without kids is much preferable to the alternative!

We were looking forward to a highly productive day, even with a late start (11am), when we had a bit of a nasty surprise that put at damper on my day at least. Our new tenant (and her aunt) arrived as I was about to begin the final coat of paint on our ceiling patches and were present to discover the fact that our previous tenant HAD NOT CLEANED THE APARTMENT! When I left the apartment around 2pm yesterday she had moved out and was vaccuuming, so I assumed she would complete the job before she left. Alas, no. The bathroom sink was caked in layers of toothpaste, the kitchen sink still had food bits in it, the floor was filthy with cat food, every surface was covered in cat paw marks, all the floors hadn't been swept or mopped and so forth. And to top it all off the AUNT was being mother hen and giving US attitude like WE hadn't cleaned the place when we gave them the option of waiting for a maid service, getting rent break if they did it themselves, or having us clean it (not our 1st choice). So I was pissed off that the first part of my day had to be spent playing Molly Maid - I charge $50/hr by the way.

The SistersSteve, on the other hand, spent the day happily framing away; Adding headers, sistering studs, blocking, cleaning, hammering, screwing, kicking up dust and so on.

Vrrrooooom!!Once I was done with cleaning, making lunch, pulling a few nails and taking Liam to a birthday party (Panda brought him in), I came back and was given a tutorial on the compound mitre saw. I figure if all those gals on 'Trading Spaces' can do it so can I. So I made nice with the big nasty power tool and didn't even hurt myself! Unfortunately Steve's back received a bit of a, ahem, three inch scrape on the table saw when he stood up to make room for me. Oops. With me on the compound mitre saw and Steve up the ladder with hammer nails, screw and power drill, we finished up the blocking required to vault the ceiling before we called it quits for the day.