Try turning all aspects of your life completely upside down for a few weeks and just see how well you know your partner, and find out just how compatible you are.
We have essentially cut our house in half and, even though we move more freely between the upstairs work area and the downstairs living areas, we are still living in a small space. But it's not so bad. As much as we dream of having a larger house - or even making this one larger one day - we could live quite easily in this small space. Of course if we were to do it long term, instead of 'temporarily,' I would have to make a few changes to the layout and composition of furniture. Oh, and a bath or shower would be a nice addition.
After an eventful day that had nothing to do with the renovation, Steve and I have decided to take the evening off from the constant reno-schedule and just reflect on all the things we've been through in the last few weeks - or is it months now? My mom asked me today 'And you and Steve are still speaking? I couldn't put up with all the chaos - I'd go crazy' (paraphrasing here mom). When I think about it I guess it would be understandable if the air was tense around here and tempers were short. But for the most part this whole thing has been a bonding experience for all of us. Committed as we are to an open and honest relationship, Steve and I have grown closer than ever, and learned more about each other - our needs, wants and desires - than we have in years. And we are more receptive and responsive to the needs of our children, who always seem to let us know when we've gotten a little too self-absorbed in life's other realities. When it comes right down to it, as nice as it will be to have a fabulous new bathroom, what really matters in life are the people you love. And when you GET that - when it resonates with the very core of you - then a little inconvenience like a house turned upside down is just another experience you can learn and grow from. Best of all you can have a little fun - and maybe get a little dirty - while you're there.